Let’s talk about 2018.
It has been the most amazing year for me. You know how everyone keeps posting their top nine on Instagram? Well let’s do a top ten on this blog post. I want to reflect on all the awesome things that’s happened for me in 2018:
- I was published four times this year! Poems and photos in UH Hilo’s Art & Literary Magazine, Kanilehua; an essay in UH Hilo’s Academic Journal, Hohonu; another essay in The International Journal of Arts & Sciences (Humanities); and finally a short story in an anthology (released on Amazon). This all happened in the spring and summer.
- I participated in Read Across America. That was important for me! Watching college students do this for us as children, made me very happy to give back in such a way. (March)
- I had the privilege and honor to attend Merrie Monarch for the first time in person. It was amazing, and definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. (April)
- After 5 years of school, I finally graduated with my Bachelor’s degree (May). I was so proud to have walked with my dear friends and to have had support from everyone. My last year of college was so much fun, I learned so much and made so many new connections.
- My husband and I finally got married after 7 years of long distance dating. It resulted in me moving away from home for the first time, and it was tough. I’m sure you all remember from my posts. But I am so grateful and thankful! (May)
- I got to spend two months with my girls and my husband up in WA. We got so close and went on many adventures. I also attended my first concert, it was G- Eazy. (June & July)
- We got our own first place together in Oahu and have had many “first” memories. Our first Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, (and now New Years). (August up til now)
- I got my very first “adult” job. It doesn’t always feel the best to go to work, but it feels awesome having my own money to spend/save. My co-workers are the real bonus. My supervisors are the best. (August up til now)
- My best friend also moved to Oahu shortly after I did. Now I don’t feel so alone here! So glad to have that touch of Hilo here with me. (September)
- I went back home for my birthday and to surprise my dad for his birthday party! It was so nice to be home, but I miss it already! (November)
If you haven’t already, take some time to reflect on all the wonderful (or not so wonderful) things that have happened in 2018. Take a look back at the year and see where things could have been better or how awesome they were, that you couldn’t even imagine it being any better. Thanks for being on this year-long ride with me. I truly appreciate the people who take the time to read what I write, and I really do hope I can be even better in 2019.
My focus in the New Year is to do more of what I love. To read, to write, with passion and happiness. We should all have our souls on fire for the things we love. May your new year be just as amazing as you are.
Happy Curl, Happy Girl
Curly Island Girl