It was hot at home on Big Island… and now it’s even worse in Oʻahu! My skin is still trying to adjust to more than usual heat. I’ve added to my skincare routine and since it’s been a while, I figured I would update you all! (Both face and body)
1. Face care routine
- Cleansing: Shea Moisture African Black Soap with a soft face brush (exfoliating purposes)
- Toner: I’ve just recently went back to using toner, however, this time to try and avoid too much stripping of my natural face oils, I’m using alcohol free toner. Thayer’s Witch Hazel (rose petal) is perfect! It cleans and takes off excess oils that my soap doesn’t remove. Before my skin completely dries, I move to the next step
- Moisturizing: In the morning I use the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Moisturizer. At night I use a water-based gel moisturizer from Perfectly Posh- Gel Yes! I like that it’s really lightweight but very moisturizing, especially because I do an extra step at night.
- Face Oil/Serum Step: I use a Perfectly Posh face oil called Love Me Dew. It’s light and you only need a few drops. It’s important to do a face oil step last in your routine, because once the oil is on, no other moisturizer can get through to your skin. Face oil helps to replenish natural oils that have been lost (and could be causing overproduction of oil during the day!). If you were to put a moisturizer after the oil, it would have a hard time penetrating through to get into your skin.
2. Body Skin Care Routine
- Cleansing: I try to use good body wash, and right now I’m using Dove. I need to do more research but I’ve heard that Dove clogs pores because it has no sulfates. From my time as a CG girl, I know that sulfates can be very very drying, however, I’m not sure if that’s true for skin on your body. What’s most important about cleaning your body, is that you are exfoliating daily. Your skin sheds cells every day, we should probably wash it off more often than not. Get a Japanese scrubber to wash your body. It’s scrubs and cleans well.
- Moisturizer: When I get out of the shower I put lotion on my body. My skin is normally really dry on my legs, so I try to get my lotion on as soon as possible. I use Aveeno!
- Oil: I’ve recently just purchased the FUR ingrown concentrate and pubic oil. I think it’s much too early to tell whether it’s actually working or not, but I can tell you that the oil smells really good. The smaller bottle meant for ingrown hairs is pretty pricey, but the oil mixture is supposed to clean and reduce inflammation on your bikini line. The bigger bottle (much more worth your money) is just to make the pubic area soft (especially the hairs, if you have any). I put these on as soon as I finish doing my face skin care routine.
3. Other extra skin care:
- I also just purchased my own derma roller with 540 needle measurement. A derma roller should always be clean with rubbing alcohol before and after every use. The needles make tiny holes in your face which trigger your skin to react and grow new skin to heal it. Afterwards I go straight into my normal face routine (after cleansing). I won’t do this type of thing every day. It can damage your skin if you go overboard.
I hope this gives you an idea of my new routines! I miss talking to you all, but it’s been so crazy working all day every day and then passing out from exhaustion as soon as I get home.
Happy Curl, Happy Girl
Curly Island Girl